As a kid, my father told me that constantly. "Eso es Satanico" referred to Ninja Turtles, Smurfs, Garbage Pail Kids, and even Madballs. I tried to convince him that Scooby Doo wasn't 'satanico' because the monsters were actually angry old men who ran county fairs and not at all related to the devil or he-who-must-not-be-named.

Friday, April 23, 2010

It's the second time I listen to Rob Swift's new one, The Architect. I was a big fan of parts of Sound Event. There enough emcees I didnt' necessarily like littered through the album, but the instrumental tracks were flawless. They made me bob my head and kind of made me want to dance, which is rare, given my inability to do so.

The Architect is his new one, and it's on Ipecac Recordings. I'm not surprised to see this-- Mike Patton has collaborated with the X-Ecutioners in the past.

(I should say at this point that I just checked Wikipedia and Rob Swift has released a number of albums between Sound Event and The Architect. I've been completely out of touch.)

The Architect is a very different record form Sound Event-- the scratching is there and he still sounds amazing but there's a lot of slow beats here. The music is a lot less funky and frankly, darker. I guess that's a little bit of the Ipecac influence showing. As far as I can tell so far, this record rules. Rob Swift is using a lot of classical soundtrack-y kind of music here layered over the beats and it 80's big budget horror movies to mind. I suggest everyone check it out, especially fans of scratching/turntablism.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
I don't have enough time on my hands. I have too much time on my hands.

Followers